It’s nearly Halloween! Time for carving pumpkins, trick or treating and watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. My friend & I decided to create cute, tasty and simple Halloween treats – Rice Krispie Pumpkins.
1 tbsp unsalted butter
5 cups of Rice Krispies
Matchmakers or mini chocolate fingers
Red & Yellow food colouring
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Gradually pour in the marshmallows, stirring constantly until they’re all melted.
3. Add in a few drops of yellow food colouring and then veeeeeeery gently drop in a couple of drops of red food colouring until you get a lovely Halloween-y orange.
4. Mix in the Rice Krispies. Do this gradually so make sure they’re totally covered in marshmallowy goodness.
5. To mould the mixture into pumpkin shapes, put some butter on your hands. We learnt this the hard way after getting the gooey mixture everywhere…
6. Put them on a baking tray and put them in the fridge to cool for a bit which you make the faces.
7. Roll out the icing and cut into pumpkin faces – we went for triangle eyes and a mixture of mouth shapes.
8. Take the pumpkins out of the fridge and put the icing onto them. They should still be sticky enough to hold the faces but if not, put a tiny dab of water on the icing.
9. Push Matchmakers/chocolate fingers into the top of the pumpkin and you’re done!
They last for a few days in the fridge in an airtight container.
They’re really tasty, not too filling and so simple to make. Great fun if you’ve got kids and want to make something with them, perfect for Halloween. And of course, it wouldn’t be Halloween without an adorable cat purring round our feet, eyeing the food!